Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Positive Side of Bipolar Disorder

I thought I would share this article with you about a new study by Lancaster University that took a look at the positive experiences of living with bipolar disorder. I find this type of study fascinating and encouraging.

One thing that I found to be refreshing with my son’s therapist is her constant, weekly reminder that though my son struggles with bipolar disorder, he is gifted in other areas. Each week she ends his session with him demonstrating his advanced skills in certain mind games that leaves the rest of us in the dust. We also take time to hear about his latest creations and inventions at home. He always leaves the session with a spark of optimism. This alone is priceless therapy!

I think it’s easy to get overwhelmed with the challenges this illness brings, but as most of us know, some of the greatest artists, performers, writers, inventors and more have been individuals living with bipolar disorder. I think the key is to learn how to “live” with it, working through the tough stuff and embracing the gifts.

But it all starts with knowing that one has these gifts.

* * *

If you’ve been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and recognize your unique gifts or positive experiences, please share, I would love to hear about it!

* * *

PSYPOST article:
Research explores the positives of bipolar disorder.
http://www.psypost.org/2012/05/research-explores-the-positives-of-bipolar-disorder-11468

5 comments:

  1. I am so grateful you posted this article. It brought my spirits up. I just feel like sharing some of my more positive Bipolar attributes. I am very languid and artistic when hypomanic. I paint, sketch, and just see color all around me as refreshing and renewing. I keep a sketch journal when I get in these moods and pull out old photos and get to work drawing the people I love. I suppose I am in that phase now. It is fun for a few days then I get back to normal and the colors fade in brilliance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing In The Pink, it's cool to hear about such talents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son was a great writer and had his flair for writing Poems to me. He was a Bipolar kid who took his life. I have shared his story in some detail and the idea is to tell the world that I failed to realize what was happening to him. His story will perhaps help some people to better undertand what he felt.

    http://www.squidoo.com/my-son-was-a-bipolar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tahir for sharing your story, I’m saddened to hear about your son, I can't imagine the pain you live with. I would love for you to share your story, there are many parents who can benefit from what you have learned! I will check out your link now....

      Delete
  4. Maintaining sanity with bipolar disorder is maintain a consistent renewable identify. You will notice your sons identity always changes. The bible will provide a renewable identity that he can always come back after his mood swings. If u have questions let me know.

    ReplyDelete