Sunday, July 22, 2012

20 Years Later...

20 years ago I was dressed head-to-toe in lace, which was way too much fabric for what was one of the hottest days of the year. Sadly, I was proudly displaying big hair from the early ’90s. There at the end of the aisle was my soon to be handsome husband, wearing a smile that was beaming across his face.

In a matter of minutes, we were pronounced “Husband and Wife” for the first time.

I distinctly remember a moment after our wedding ceremony when we were driving to our new home. We had a pile of wedding gifts in the trunk of our car and watched the sky turn a beautiful orange color as the sun set in the distance. I clearly remember thinking to myself... this is it, I’m now starting my life.

20 years later I’m writing to you about my family as we cope with mental illness in our child. It’s funny how life throws you the unexpected. I never in a million years could have imagined the twists and turns my husband and I later faced. I’m sure anyone reading can nod their head in agreement. I even had old friends saying that there were bets against us that we wouldn’t last since we were so young. But here we are, 20 years later and still deeply in love and committed to one another.

When I think back to that drive home so many years ago, I can see how naive I was to all the challenges that a couple could face. I felt invincible. For the most part I had a lot to learn, but one thing remains true, that my husband and I can get through anything together.

Happy Anniversary Papa Bear! Thank you for being an amazing husband all these years and for proving to all those naysayers that this young, bright-eyed couple had something special and lasting. Let’s get started on the next 20!



7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Right back atcha Mamma Bear. You give me so much Joy, Hope, Peace, Love....and Pleasure ;-)

      For all of our challenges, We have yet to be knocked out! Remember it's not how you fall...It's how you get up and you always put your hand out to help me up and I will always do the same for you.

      Now let's go collect the money owed us from all those bet's 20 years ago :-) SUCKERS!

      Delete
  2. This is such a heart warming story. May you two 'bears' live always happy and forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary! 20 years - that is great. What a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm WAY behind on my blog reading--so Happy Belated Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete