Sunday, September 16, 2012

Another First...

This weekend our oldest son experienced another first, a sleepover party.

In the past he has tried, but always left early because he was too nervous to stay over, but this time he was committed to stay the entire time. So when I got the call at midnight, I thought, oh bummer, he wants to come home, but on the other end of the receiver I heard an excited voice asking me to bring him his DS game system since all the other boys were playing theirs and he was feeling a little left out. So off I went to make the midnight delivery, feeling a little anxious about what I know to be true, Protect his sleep like it’s a religion!

As I made the drop off I was excited to see him having the time of his life with all the other boys. Compare that to previous parties (the few he has attended) where he spent his entire time hanging out with the parent because he was too anxious to play with the other kids.

This morning when I picked him up, I heard the sounds of disappintment from the other boys that were sad to see him leave. My son on the other hand was beaming! He won 3 contests at the party, even taking home the grand prize and had so much fun with all the other boys. Then I heard the alarming news, “We stayed up until 2:30!”

Yikes! So I brought him home, full of excitement and giggles over all the fun and put him to bed when he got home. It took a lot of work to get his body calm, but with a dark room and a head massage, he started to drift off to sleep.

Even though I was nervous about the sleep disruption and the consequences we may face for it, I’m still glad he went, the social growth that will come out of this positive experience is worth it. Sometimes as parents we have to make tough decisions and choose what’s better over what’s good.

8 comments:

  1. Yes!!! But, nooooo!!!! I've been facing this lately too and it's such a mixed bag of emotions. It's beautiful that they're being able to be 'normal' kids, but so worrisome to know that they'll be out of their sleeping pattern. I hope the next few days go well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your response, “Yes!!! But, nooooo!!!!” Totally feeling that mixed bag of emotions, and hoping we made the right decision after a rough day.

      Delete
  2. Oh boy do we know all about that. The thrill of a sleepover, followed by the agony of surviving the next day or two. Our philosophy is, as long as we survive....it was worth him having the experience. And all those folks who say "oh kids are always irritable after a sleepover" have NO idea what we are dealing with. But that being said, I am so happy for your son. Hopefully he will be back on track in a day or two and the great memories of the fun will shine much brighter than the dark memories of the fallout.

    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Betsy for your feedback, yesterday was very rough, but I think today we are finally getting back on track. I had to keep reminding myself that we were going through all of this for the greater and much needed reward of him having such a positive experience. Nice to know someone else "gets" this!

      Delete
  3. It happens around here too. The day after his last sleepover with a friend, my son was all very irritable. But I chalked it up to the sleep issue. (we've also been having a lot of difficulty with regular sleep--he's staying up later, resisting lights out time, and sleeping in later too. It's really difficult to wake him up.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How old is he Heather? Is he moving into puberty? I wondered if the mornings would get tougher when my son gets a little older.

      Delete
  4. That's so awesome! I remember so well the excitement and anxiety of Bug's first slumber party. And the dread, on my part, of dealing with her out-of-whack sleep cycle when she got home. To me, it's worth risking the consequences sometimes to let her feel like a normal ten-year- old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I wonder who dreads it more, Mom or the kids? Glad to hear that Bug has experienced this fun too!

      Delete