Tuesday, September 25, 2012

One Person Can Make a Difference!

Yesterday I met with my son’s Study Skills teacher. This is the class that allows him to do his homework at school with the supervision and assistance from a teacher who’s in touch with all of his teachers. I have to say I was so impressed. She immediately reassured me that she has had plenty of experience with bipolar kids, as well as kids with many other challenges. She went on to explain how she works with her students and how she adjusts based on their particular needs and ways of learning. She was especially in touch with my son’s ability to hold it together in school, but rage at home. She even shared that she has seen kids who feel so safe in her class that they hold it together in their other classes and once with her, they feel safe to let it out with her. She totally gets it!

I thought that I needed to instruct her on how to work best with my son, but before I even got the chance, she said all the right things, I could tell that she had extensive experience with kids like my son. Then she offered to meet my son each morning in his first class to check in with him and help encourage him when he goes through tough times—all I needed to do was give her the heads up and she would step in. She expressed her complete commitment to my son and reassured me that we would get him through middle school.

I can’t say enough how happy I was to see this dedication to my son. It’s no wonder that he’s doing so well right now, it’s proof that one person can make a world of difference!

12 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you and your son! This is exactly what we have at our schools and working in these classrooms I saw what was possible and I am so glad that you and him now have it!! It sounds like this teacher will be an asset for you in the coming years....USE HER. Love to you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawnelle! Yeah, I’m learning that she is my "go-to" girl! Next year he'll have another teacher, but I heard he is good too.

      Delete
  2. Wow! That is so great! Does he have a 504 or an IEP? This seems like a wonderful accommodation and one I need to look in to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is under his 504 plan believe it or not. Most of the kids have an IEP, with the exception of my son and one other kid. This teacher felt that as long as we can get all the accommodations we want with the 504, there is no sense switching over to the IEP yet. Had he not been allowed to attend this class, I would have fought for the IEP. This class is the reason my son is doing so well in middle school, you should look into it!

      Delete
  3. That is awesome! I will have to ask my school about that! My son goes from holding it together at school to meltdowns at home, especially over homework! Isn't it a relief to meet someone who gets "it" and isn't scared?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It was such a huge relief to see that she knows exactly what I’m talking about and she even understands the skepticism that our kids face because they appear fine to the outside world. Most never see the illness like we do.

      She even shared with me that she once worked at a place where kids were restrained, it was for "ED" (Emotionally Disturbed) kids as she put it, for kids who’s next stop was incarceration. So she has seen some serious stuff.

      I also thought it was interesting that she mentioned that she once had a kid in class who was on 800 mg of Lithium, I replied that my son is on 600. She was shocked, she said, “but he doesn't look dulled or drugged up.” (I guess the other kid did). I explained how Lithium had the opposite effect for him, it brought him back to life.

      Delete
  4. That is such wonderful news. It is so important to have acceptance outside of the home from people who are not family. I am so happy she is such a good fit for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You bring up a very good point about the importance of acceptance outside the home, it's such a positive experience and really needed for all kids.

      Delete
  5. That is great news and makes me feel more optimistic about middle school. What you describe sounds very much like the special class Bug will qualify for next year. I have heard good things about it, but hearing your positive experience with a similar class is that much more reassuring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Bug has the same experience, I know it will do wonders for her! I have also noticed the positive peer experience that's there, they all seem to get one another and accept each others challenges.

      Delete
  6. Wow that's wonderful! It's great that you found someone who is really helping! Just stumbled upon your blog today, and wanted to say good luck with everything :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jess! I’m glad you found my blog and I look forward to hearing from you again!

      Delete