Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Bully Caught on Camera!

My oldest son is still being bullied at school by older kids. He’s been punched in the stomach, slapped in the face, hit on the back, even pinched by older girls that called him “gay” as he passed them in the hall. What’s strange is that it’s been completely random, each from different kids, all of them unknown. They’re just the older kids on campus messing with the younger, more vulnerable kids.

Yesterday, while waiting for me to pick him up at the front of the school an older boy grabbed his backpack and walked off with it. When my son was alerted to this by a friend, he chased the kid down to get it back. As he approached the kid the kid swung the backpack, hitting him in the face multiple times. My son began twisting the backpack, until he got it back. But the harassment didn’t end there, because the kid then grabbed some rocks and began throwing them at my son. How do I know this? Because I saw it all on video thanks to a surveillance camera filming over the location.

Thankfully we were able to have the principal pull up the video in his office and they were able to identify the bully, who later faced the consequences.

I was so proud of my son on how he handled the situation, he tried to defend himself, but avoided hitting back. On the other side, I was so angry to see him being messed with on camera, my mama bear claws were coming out!

The downside to all of this was the anxiety that occurred the next morning in his first period, after the official meeting with school staff to identify the student. My son’s hearing started to change, for about an hour all sounds became very amplified and the voices of those around him became threatening. He could tell that what he was experiencing wasn’t real, but it was frightening none the less.

As my son told me tonight, I wish there were some things about middle school that I could make disappear.

So do I son, so do I...

8 comments:

  1. I'd be inclined to go to the police and have the bully charged with assault, or at the very least have the police scare the heck out of the bully.
    Think about it. You wouldn't let an adult do this to your son, and you also wouldn't let an adult do this to you.
    As someone who was bullied as a kid, I do not for the life of me understand why school bullies get off so lightly. Assault is assault.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'm glad that the guy got caught, but sheesh, it is so unfair that your son has to deal with that on top of his other stuff. I do hope the consequences are significant--and that the consequences the bully received are publicized to the rest of the students so that other kids will leave him alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's interesting is that the school is not allowed to even tell me what happened. All I know is that they handled it, but they aren't allowed to disclose any information.

      Delete
  3. That breaks my heart but also I am loving that it was avenged and caught on camera! I can't imagine the fire that video set off inside you but if I were the one wronging your baby boy I would be afraid...very afraid! All in all, is your son feeling better now? Poor guy, but also I am so proud of the way he handled himself. What a mature kiddo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he’s feeling better, thanks for asking! Unfortunately he is getting use to the harassment, we are trying to help him get through this by being very proactive and letting him know we are going to help him whenever he needs it. Thankfully he is keeping the lines of communication open and we are always responding in a way he is comfortable with.

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry about what your son is going through. I hope that the bullies are punished as much as they possibly can be. Their actions are despicable.

    ReplyDelete