Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Merry Christmas and Bah Humbug!

Overall, today was a great Christmas day. The boys were so excited for Santa that they began waking us up around 4 am. We made them wait until 7 am, but I don’t think anyone got much sleep.

With so little sleep we were expecting a meltdown somewhere along the way, and our youngest son didn’t disappoint. This afternoon at Grandma’s house, surrounded by a room of onlooking family, my youngest son started to scream when he found out he got clothes in one of his gifts. The clothes were awesome and just what he needed, but his expectations were of something else and more than anything he was done for the day. Too much fun, not enough sleep, a different schedule, different foods, crowds of people—all of it was a recipe for disaster for his little brain.

So there he was, yelling over the family, “This is the worst gift ever!”. I wish it stopped there, but it didn’t, he had to be carried to the back room to decompress only to later run into the bathroom where my aunt was doing her business. I heard her scream from down the hall after I was too late in stopping him from barging in on her. It was then when we surrendered and called it a day.

On the drive home, I had to push away feelings of embarrassment. My family was so generous with my son—it was mortifying to see him throw such a fit. I also can’t help but feel like everyone is judging me for being a bad parent. This is exactly how Thanksgiving ended with my in-laws, me taking my youngest to the back room as he screamed, “I hate you!”

As much as I know I need to be prepared for these meltdowns when our life gets off schedule, it still makes me wish I could avoid it all together. But as my husband pointed out, to do so would require never leaving the house and that doesn’t always make for a very merry Christmas.

In the end, I have to keep in mind that as hard as this is for me, it’s 100 times harder on my little one.

* * *

Merry Christmas my friends and to all a good night!


3 comments:

  1. Big Hugs! and Merry Christmas. We know you are a great parent. (and sometimes no matter what we do, good or bad, we can't change our relatives' minds...it is more about their mindset than our behavior.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can relate. It is so difficult on us when our children have a melt downs. Often people have no clue what we are dealing with on a daily basis. Unfortunately we find ourselves minimizing our visits with family to avoid sharing the experience of the melt downs. I don't think anyone will really understand unless they live it. We are busy trying to protect our kids so that the cousins don't see the tantrums and treat my kids differently or become afraid of my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We know you are great parents and send lots of love

    ReplyDelete