Thursday, January 24, 2013

Getting the Runaround!

I spent yesterday getting the runaround from my insurance company when trying to get a referral approved for my youngest son’s autistic spectrum assessment. Because the wait for the Neuropsychologist within my provider is 8 months to 1 year, our Neurologist decided to send us to a highly regarded doctor who is in contract with our provider.

After 4 hours of back and forth calls, and a few unwarranted celebrations where we were told we were approved to go, in the end we were denied because my heath insurance places autism disorders under “Behavior Health” and our medical provider paces it under the category of “Medical”. So due to this clerical difference the amazing doctor we were waiting the last month to get scheduled with is now considered out of our reach.

This is why labels matter.

So now, I’m having to start my search all over again. Good times!




4 comments:

  1. Grrr ARGH! I just don't get why insurance has to be so difficult. I'm going round and round with mine too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me wonder how our kids will handle this on their own someday when they are coping with depression and such. How does a unstable person fight to get the services they need? It’s such a shame that this is so difficult!

      Delete
  2. I am really sorry to hear about that, Mama Bear. As Heather said, our insurance goes out of their way to lose paperwork, change the rules, transfer the call to someone who knows even less, and generally ruin my lovely wife's peace of mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Your post made me laugh, it does feel like they are trying to make us moms lose our peace of mind, it must be a conspiracy!

      Delete