Tuesday, January 15, 2013

New Drug Better Than Lithium?

In the news this week, a British study has announced that they have identified a new drug called Ebselen that is as effective as Lithium, currently the gold standard for Bipolar Disorder, but without the side effects such as weight gain, thirst, and potential kidney damage. I find this to be very encouraging news! It’s still in the research stage, but I look forward to following this drug and hope to see this as a safer option in the future for the Lithium my oldest son is currently taking. Check out the details in the HuffPost article by Kate Kelland:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/08/ebselen-bipolar-disorder-drug-treatment-lithium-side-effects_n_2432367.html

3 comments:

  1. Hello. I read your blog off and on for quite some time now. My son is almost 9 (next week is his birthday). He is suspected to have early onset rapid cycling bipolar disorder. We recently switched from Abilify to Lamotrigne. We aren't doing well at all. Within the last few days is the first time I've ever considered going to the emergency room. He was absolutely manic. They won't give him Lithium due to his age but do far I don't think this switch is even touching the disorder. He's been going through this really all his life but been treated since he was 4. When I called the dr today after he was kicked out of school for the day and was completely out of control at home, they upped the dosage. Did you guys try Lamotrigne at all? Did you have any success with it? Starting to think we are in crisis mode here and just want to help my son. Ugh! Thanks so much. Carly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carly,
      I’m sorry to hear about what you are going through. Yes, we tried the brand name Lamictal. We had to quit after 6 days because it made his arms feel numb. After that we tried Lithium and it changed our world for the better and we have seen the most stability since. He started when he was 10 years old. I definitely would continue with your doctor and trusting your gut if a drug isn't working. I have a friend who has a teen on Lamictal and Risperdol doing really good and having no more mania. So I know the Lamictal can really help others. But every drug is different with every kid. Hang in there, I know this is tough!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the input. It stinks not knowing how to help your child.

    ReplyDelete