Thursday, February 7, 2013

Why HIPAA Laws Frighten Me!


Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

This Today show clip shows another reason why the HIPAA laws frighten me. Once our kids turn 18, we won't be able to manage their illness, because the laws won't allow us. For some this may not be a big deal, but considering that a lot of kids with mood disorders may not be ready for such an important responsibility, this is a frightening transition. I only have 6 years left to help my child manage his illness. After that, my hands are tied.


2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure about where you live but I know here in NJ when I turned 18 my mom was told that she could go to court and have papers done that she is still my guardian for medical stuff. there's some options out there. So if I was ever in the hospital she would still be the one to talk for me, make decisions, etc. It's called Medical Power of Attorney.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is patently terrifying to me.

    ReplyDelete