Thursday, March 21, 2013

Let the Assessments Begin!

On Monday my youngest son will begin his assessment with a Neuropsychologist for his suspected autism spectrum disorder. This is a first for us, being that my oldest never went through this kind of evaluation. I don’t know too much about it other than the appointment will be 2.5–3 hours long, if my little one can tolerate it. From there, hopefully she’ll have collected enough information to go to stage two which may include a large group interview where we’re told to invite outside family members such as brothers, aunts, uncles, grandparents, and even teachers and therapists all to answers questions about my son. She said that this is a unique service she offers that allows her to get a big picture of what’s going on and helps her form an accurate assessment.

I find this whole process interesting. I also think that every kid deserves such an assessment and wonder why these services have only been available to my youngest who has autistic features and not my oldest who has a mood disorder. I find it terribly disturbing that my youngest has had more testing and assessments done in his first few months of evaluation than my oldest has done in his 5 years of treatment. Something is wrong with that. But that’s a rant for another day and I’m honestly too tired for fighting words.

Instead, I’m hopeful. I hope the Neuropsychologist sees what we’ve all been seeing in my youngest. I hope that we have clarification and not uncertainty. I hope we leave with a report that will give me the tools to help my little one embrace his gifts and overcome his challenges. I’m hopeful for his bright future.





No comments:

Post a Comment