Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Pastor Rick Warren’s Tragedy Hits Close to Home

In a letter published on CNN’s website, Pastor Rick Warren shared the news of his youngest son’s suicide this past week. His son, Matthew Warren died from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound at the age of 27 after fighting a lifelong battle with mental illness. Rick Warren writes:
“But only those closest knew that he struggled from birth with mental illness, dark holes of depression, and even suicidal thoughts. In spite of America’s best doctors, meds, counselors, and prayers for healing, the torture of mental illness never subsided.”
This is a heartbreaking tragedy. But for me, it’s also a reminder of the war we’re all up against.

Like Matthew, our children are facing a mental illness brought on during childhood, we too have good doctors, meds, therapists and prayers, yet I know deep down that our children’s lives are at stake and no matter how much is done, no matter how hard our children fight, this illness is a monster wanting to take their lives.

This rattles my heart for my family and for yours.

I think about you often. I think about your children and the stories you’ve shared with me through email. I know many of you are hanging on by a thread, some of you single parents, others with multiple special need children. Some of you have no insurance, while others have no support. Some of you have yet to expereince a day of relief, while others try to find sleep at night while their children sleep in a hospital bed miles away. Many of you are battling an illness with no name and others have a list of labels that keep changing. And we all worry about suicide at one time or another.

I’m thinking of you tonight and I’m praying for you. I pray that your child and your family will be spared the reality that Pastor Rick Warren’s family face tonight. I pray that our children will not only survive this illness, but will grow up to have joyful, fulfilling lives.

May God bless your children and your families and may God be close to Matthew’s family tonight.

* * *

Reference: Son of Pastor Rick Warren commits suicide, family says.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/06/us/california-warren-suicide/?hpt=hp_inthenews By Dana Ford, CNN updated 12:46 PM EDT, Sun April 7, 2013
Referenced April, 9th, 2013

2 comments: