Monday, April 8, 2013

Praise God—A Miracle Happened!

I’m so excited to share with you the amazing miracle God did in our life regarding our dilemma with our son’s autism spectrum disorder assessment.

After a week of calling my medical group to report the incident, I finally got in touch with a head nurse. I explained to her the disappointing situation with our current neuropsychologist. For clarification, the neuropsychogist does not work for my son’s medical group, instead she has her own private clinic. The reason we saw her for the assessment was because our insurance company puts “autism” under behavior health and not under medical, so we were not allowed to have the assessment done with the medical group.

As I explained to the head nurse that I wanted to look into appealing my insurance company to see someone out of my network because I had a bad experience with the current neuropsuchologist, she seemed to listen intently, then she said, “Let me look into this—I’ll get back to you.”

After a week of unreturned calls, I was prepared for another dead end, but later that day the nurse called me back. She said, “I contacted the appeal department and I have some bad news and good news. The bad news is that it would be a very long process to make an appeal to the insurance company and the results would most likely be disappointing. However, the good news is that I spoke at length with our top doctor who does our assessments here at the medical group and he has decided to do your son’s assessment.”

Oh my gosh... I know exactly who this doctor is! He comes highly recommended and his waiting list is over a year long!

As the excitement sunk in, the nurse continued, “We called your insurance company and they told us that they would NOT cover the costs for the assessment since this doctor is out of your network. However, we wanted to do the right thing here so we’re offering to do your son’s assessment at no cost. We promise he will get a fair and complete assessment.”

HOLY COW!!!!!!

Through giggles, I asked the nurse, “So you’re telling me that you’re not billing the insurance company and you’re not billing me? So you’re doing this for free?” She replied, “We want to give you the best care you deserve.” Then she continued, “this doctor typically has a waiting list of about 1 year, but the doctor has agreed to get your son in as soon as possible. Let me transfer you to the appointment department.” After a few seconds a woman picked up the line and schedule all three required appointments for my son’s assessment with the first appointment in just over 1 week and the last one at the end of next month!

As I got off the phone I began laughing and crying all at the same time. The boys called out, “What’s wrong mommy, are you upset?” I laughed more and said, “No boys, these are tears of joy!”

I could hardly believe this unexpected turn of events. But what makes it more spectacular is that for the last two weeks I’ve been praying specifically that God would “fix” this situation. This was following a devotion where I was encouraged to once again “let go” of things and give them to God, so in an effort to do this, I gave this over to God and prayed that He would somehow get us approved to see someone out of our network, knowing full well that this was very unlikely. And just as God promises, He gave me more than I ever imagined. Not only did he give me someone highly recommended, but he gave it to me for free AND he gave it to me immediately.

I wish I could say that I had complete faith that this was going to be the outcome. But honestly, I struggled with this whole “give it to God” prayer. It was a rough two weeks that were filled with a lot of raw emotion. But thankfully God doesn’t need my help, He just needs me to have a mustard seed of faith and he can move mountains. Boy did he move some mountains!


...Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, “Move from here to there,” and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you. (Matthew 17:20)

11 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you.

    My family are religious Jews, although I read your blog more religiously than I practice much of my faith nowadays. I still pray, though, and I can't tell you how many times I've felt delivered as you have been.

    A former writer, I wish I had time to write about my family's misadventures and triumphs in the worlds of diagnoses and government assistance and public schooling but READING your blog is a great comfort. I have bipolar disease, my husband has ADHD and is on the Asperger's realm of the autism spectrum (he teaches philosophy for a living), my older child has diagnosed OCD and may be on the spectrum, and my dear lovely younger child has bipolar and autism and everything else you can practically name--she is verbal, improving every day, and a special blessing.

    Please pray for us. I will continue to keep your family in my own prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m sorry to hear about your family’s struggles, it seems you have a lot of challenges to face in your life. I’m glad you too have felt delivered, we need to remind each other of God’s blessings to encourage one another, I find it easy to forget those miracles as we face so many struggles and our testimonies can help see us through when we are in the thick of it and feel like we are facing it alone. Yes, I will pray for you and your family. God bless.

      Delete
    2. Baruch Ha Shem--Blessed be the Name.

      Your blog is a blessing. May you and your family grow in strength and continue to inspire and comfort and help others in similar struggles. Blessings upon Blessings,

      Deborah

      Delete
  2. I have the same struggle- turning it over to God. You (and God) have inspired me! Congrats on this amazing news. We are struggling with our teenage son. Severe ADHD, depression, anger, anxiety, Asperger traits..
    I won't give up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Your son is lucky to have you and your relentless commitment.

      Delete
  3. Oh what wonderful news!! That truly is a blessing. I am so happy for your little man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMEN! I have goose bumps reading this! The pastor at church this weekend challenged us to look for everyday miracles that occur all around us. This is one! Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. : ) Praise God indeed! Don’t you love how God reveals his love in the small miracles in our life!

      Delete
  5. This is so wonderful to read!! I just came from reading your post about the dilemma with the previous doctor. I believe also that your effort as a mother to find the best care for your son has brought you this wonderful solution. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful story, Mama Bear--brought tears to my eyes. I'm so happy for you. And thankful there are people like that nurse in this world. I, too, can't help feeling like this is a reward for your persistence in doing whatever it takes to help your sons.

    ReplyDelete