Thursday, April 4, 2013

Trying to Figure it All Out

Things are messy right now.

I still don’t know what we’re going to do about our youngest son’s assessment. I’ve placed numerous calls into the office of my son’s Neurologist who told us to get the assessment with the Neuropsychologist. I’m hoping he can request authorization with our insurance company to allow us to see someone outside our network who’s highly recommended in our area. I’ve also consulted several professionals in this field who all agreed that our experience was very unusual and that we should seek an assessment elsewhere.

In the meantime, I got a call from our current Neuropsychologist who may have heard from my Neurologist that I was unhappy. She asked if there was a problem and I outlined everything, expressing my concerns and disappointment. I also explained to her that parents in our area are not eager for our kids to be diagnosed with autism, but instead we’re eager for answers so that we know how to help our children. She proceeded to apologize profusely, even admitting that after talking to a family member of mine that she had a better understanding of what my son’s symptoms were and that she could see that I was an extraordinary parent who only wanted to help her child. I could tell she was sincere in that she never wanted to upset us, but I expressed that I had an issue with trust regarding her assessment based on her views expressed in our last meeting. At the end of the call, she asked if we could take a break and talk again next week to see how I felt then. I agreed, because until I know what’s available through my insurance company, I may need to keep lines of communication open with her. But even then, I don’t know if I could ever trust her assessment because I would always question if her final decision was made in an effort to resolve our conflict or if it was a true assessment.

It just feels like one more issue I have to face and I’m not looking forward to it.

I’m so exhausted.

And yes, I still have body jerks almost everyday. My doctor is moving forward with an MRI at the end of the month.

exhale... body jerk... inhale... and so life goes.


1 comment:

  1. Oh man....that stinks that you are having jerking. I hadn't known that till now. I hope everything is okay with you :(

    At least the Doctor has proven to have some bedside manner by apologizing. Just wishing the best for your youngest.

    ReplyDelete