Sunday, May 26, 2013

Experiencing Pure Bliss

Today I experienced pure bliss. We went on our very first family bike ride. Over the years we thought about doing this, but it was always too complicated for one reason or another, so Dad took one or two kids on a ride while I stayed back with the others. Well last night my oldest declared, “Mom, you need to buy yourself a bike!” So after almost 20 years, I found myself on a bike, along with my entire family as we rode the nature trails surrounding our small town.

We kept our expectations low and our planned destinations short, but the kids did great, no complaining or fighting and our youngest was now strong enough to keep up with the others. In fact, he was so confident with his bike that he coached me on how to ride a bike since he knew it had been twenty years. I didn’t have the heart to tell him that you never forget, instead I just enjoyed his thorough instructions.

“Remember to keep your hands on your handles at all times Mommy.”
“Peddle your feet fast to go faster Mommy.”
“You’re doing a good job Mommy!”

After a while we took a break along a creekside where the boys exposed their toes to the ice cold water, followed by their entire bodies as they one-by-one decided to go a little deeper.

As our journey continued back into town, we stopped at a local restaurant and ate lunch outside, I laughed as I watched my oldest and youngest, who are notorious for being very picky eaters step outside their comfort zone and try new foods, even shrimp!

At one point my husband and I looked at one another with smiles, in complete disbelief, that our kids were being so amazing. We were experiencing true family time.

For the rest of the day we all walked around feeling so happy as our kids announced, “We should do this everyday!”

It was pure, beautiful bliss...



2 comments:

  1. BLISS is translated by me as: "Blessings live in simple situations". Right? I'm so pleased that you had such a "blessed" day. Do everything you can to keep those coming.

    MIL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, I love that, it made me tear up just to read that translation, such a perfect description! : )

      Delete