Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Nervous for the Big Day

Tomorrow is the big day, one we’ve been waiting for ever since we met with a neurologist back in December. It’s when we hear the results of our youngest son’s assessment.

I have to admit, I’m feeling pretty nervous. With all the changes in the DSM, I’m uncertain as to what he’ll determine. Which is kinda strange when you think about it. Kids diagnosed a month ago were assessed with different criteria than they are today. With that said, I’m not even sure which guide our doctor is using for his assessments. Is there a transition period before the new DSM is put into place? A few months ago I asked one neuropsychologist how the changes in the new DSM were going to affect cases like my son and she said that the professionals in her own field were wondering the same thing.

I’m also nervous because when my son participated in the 2.5 hour testing, which I was able to observe behind a one-way mirror, I was concerned that my youngest wasn’t showing all of his traits in the limited time. He seemed more engaged than he typically is and things like his echoing of statements didn’t occur until we were back home after the testing was already complete. As a parent, you want the doctor to see all of the symptoms you see, but somethings can’t be reproduced in a clinical setting with a single adult in a room with all white walls. I wish they could’ve seen him interacting with other kids, or losing at a game or even going through transitions. But I’m sure the waiting list would be even longer if they spent that much time with each child. So it leaves me guessing on how this is all going to play out.

In the end, I’m hoping that the doctor recognizes what we see and that his final assessment makes sense with our experience. I also hope they can offer us some help. That’s what matters most.


1 comment:

  1. Ask the Dr for a school visit , he will see all his behaviour and have a better idea what he might have.

    ReplyDelete