Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Cautiously Welcoming Summer

Summer vacation started one week early this year due to our school’s cutbacks.

I read on Facebook other parents celebrating the start of summer, but for me, I cautiously welcome it.

Summer traditionally has been our hardest season since we have more behavioral issues brought on by boredom and lack of structure. Both of which I try my best to eliminate, but nothing beats the distraction that school provides.

As the final week of school approached my oldest son showed his typical mood swings, for him, facing the end of school brings tears and irritability. Thankfully as he matures, I’m able to remind him of this transition and help coach him through it.

Experience. That’s one thing I’m thankful for. As the years go on, now over 5 years, we’re better able to predict challenges and prepare for them before they happen. And when they do happen, we can remind our son that there’s light at the end of the tunnel. We can remind him of past successes and feel confident ourselves on how to get through familiar challenges. I’m sure there’s new stuff coming our way, but I remain thankful for the small successes.

Tonight it’s experience.

4 comments:

  1. I would love to hear some other parents approaches to the less structured time of summer. Our daughter is cursing school (because of the overload and kids) and cursing the end of school (because of the lack of schedule)...But she does not do well in a lot of camp environments. Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya Jess, my boys don't do well with camps either, so it's up to me to figure out how to engage them on a budget I can afford. Not easy!

      Delete
  2. I used to try and structure summer--but then what I think is "fun" is often too demanding for my son. This year I just ran out of steam. My son seems happy just playing video games, and I have an internal debate about whether I should just let him, or fight with him to be more active and get outside?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I have that internal struggle too. I’ve been cutting back their electronic time and the result so far is escalated issues all the way around. Then one day I let them go at it and it was so peaceful for everyone. Grrrr....

      Delete