Sunday, August 18, 2013

Inspiration from Steve Jobs


This weekend I took my oldest son to see the movie Jobs. This was after my son saw the preview and declared, “I have to see that movie!” followed by his book selections at the library about Steve Jobs. As some of you may have learned over the years of following my blog, my oldest loves to create. We like to think of him as our little MacGyver, able to invent something with string and tape alone. Add an old electronic device and a screw driver and he’s entertained for hours as he dismantles it and tries to put it back together. His greatest joy is building things. So of course we had to see the movie so he could learn more about a man who has changed the world. Yes Steve Jobs was a complicated man, a genius, an innovator and a difficult person to work for and live with. Yet, I believe he still made the world a better place. A final quote at the end of the movie gave me goosebumps and put a smile on my son’s face a mile wide:
Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do. —Steve Jobs
My son recognized himself in this quote and felt not only validated, but inspired.

After the movie we headed straight to the bookstore to look for books on building circuit boards. My son’s passion for building was lit on fire, I don’t think he’s stopped smiling since we walked out of the theater. As he said, “I wish I could get my hands on a circuit board right now!”

I encouraged him, “Then you need to pursue this. I told him that God has blessed him with the ability to create things and that he should do just that.”

I’m excited to see what he’ll do, because I know that God will use him in wonderful ways...

2 comments:

  1. Do you guys know about Jameco? It is a mail order electronics website. They have kits (that often include circuit boards--or you can buy individual electronics parts.) www.jameco.com
    Make Magazine is also good for inspiration and instruction. makezine.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heather, this is awesome, we’ll check it out!

    ReplyDelete