Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

It’s that time again, the most wonderful time of the year, Back-to-school time! That’s right, in 11 hours my boys will be back in school, it’s almost like Christmas, I’m too excited to sleep!

Ok, maybe I’m exaggerating, but if you’re reading my blog, I don’t think I need to explain how difficult summer can be for parents like us and how we have great anticipation for the day when our kids are back to class, back to routine and if we’re honest, back to a little peace and quite for us. Can I hear an amen?

On a more reflective note, today my oldest son reminded me of how far he’s come. He brought me his yearbook from 6th grade and from 5th grade. As he opened his 5th grade yearbook he said, “Look mom, it’s when I use to be lonely.” Slowly he flipped through an entire yearbook showing me empty pages with no signatures from friends. Then he proudly opened up last year’s yearbook from 6th grade and flipped through the pages and showed me pages of signatures. I smiled and asked him, “What do you think happened?” He said, “I got social, I got better.”

I wanted to share this with those parents who are currently hanging on by a string, who see no end to their pain and their child’s struggles. For the handful that wrote me this week, I’m thinking of you as I write this, I hope to encourage you that things do get better. In 5th grade my son paced the schoolyard by himself every recess, he was living with depression and finding it hard to function each day. But we’ve come a long way since then and I hope to encourage you that you will too. Hang in there moms and dads, things do get better.



2 comments:

  1. School starts for us next Monday. I have been mulling over whether or not to "jump into" some household projects or have a cocktail once I see the headlights going down the street---away from me.

    Enjoy and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! That’s awesome, have fun with whatever you decide to do. : )

      Delete