Monday, September 23, 2013

Feeling Optimistic About 7th Grade

I recently met with my son’s new study skills teacher, it’s the class for kids with IEPs and 504 plans. I’m happy to share that I was really impressed. This teacher gave me his full attention, asking good questions and offering up useful solutions. But what impressed me the most was his initiative to sit down with each of my son’s teachers and education them about my son’s symptoms and how it may effect his learning in the classroom. He felt it would be good to prepare the teachers ahead of time so that when they meet me for the first time in our 504 meeting, they’re already in tune with what he’ll need and will take it more seriously from the start.

On top of that, I was encouraged to hear that the bullying behavior my son experienced from the 8th graders last year was unprecedented. As the teacher said, “Our 8th graders last year were the worst bunch of kids I have ever taught. They were just mean kids!” He encouraged us that this year would be a lot different and that the new bunch of 8th graders were a good group.

And as a bonus, the principal from last year was moved to another school, let’s just say that nobody shed a tear over that. In fact, I believe there was a celebration among both the students and parents, us included.

So with all that, I’m feeling very optimistic about 7th grade. What a difference good teachers make!


No comments:

Post a Comment