Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Way to Go Brandon Marshall!

My husband shared this news link with me last week and I thought you might also find it interesting.

Last week Brandon Marshall, the wide receiver of the Chicago Bears was fined $10,500 by the NFL for wearing green cleats to promote Mental Health Awareness week. The fine was for violating the teams uniform and equipment code. I find this interesting because the league has embraced the players wearing pink cleats for breast cancer awareness, yet they punish a player for trying to bring awareness to mental health? Disappointing huh!

Well Brandon Marshall who himself is diagnosed with borderline personality disorder didn’t let that set him back, no, not only did he pay the fine, but he said that he would donate the same amount to charity.

Here’s his twitter response:
“Football is my platform not my purpose. This fine is nothing compared to the conversation started & awareness raised.”
I’m so impressed with this young man, his actions are a perfect example of how to rise above the  negativity and make something good happen out of something bad. In the end, he brought awareness to mental health and got people talking.

1 comment: