Sunday, December 15, 2013

Richard Dreyfuss and Susan Boyle Share their Story.

I recently read two articles, one about actor Richard Dreyfuss opening up about his bipolar disorder diagnosis and one about “Britain’s Got Talent” Susan Boyle who discovered recently that she has Aspergers disorder. What I found to be interesting, but not surprising, was that both felt relieved after getting their diagnosis. Dreyfuss shared that it took away his guilt because he realized that this was something he was born with and Boyle shared how she felt relieved and more relaxed about herself. 

So do labels matter?

Yes they do. For those suffering, labels open up a new world filled with support and resources. More importantly, it helps a person understand their own life experience.

Personally speaking, as a mother with a child diagnosed with a mood disorder, a label provides a path to wellness. Results may not be immediate, but at least I know where we’re headed and I have support along the way.

Check out the stories below, I think you’ll find them as interesting as I did.

* * *

Richard Dreyfuss reveals bipolar diagnosis 'took away all of my guilt'

Susan Boyle: I have Asperger's syndrome

Bonus article (mentions how long it took to find the right medication):
Richard Dreyfuss Opens Up About His Battle with Bipolar Disorder

No comments:

Post a Comment