Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Gift

Here’s to the Crazy Ones YouTube Video:
http://youtu.be/8rwsuXHA7RA

Over Christmas I came up with the idea of making a typographic poster for my oldest son of the “Here’s to the Crazy Ones” quote by Steve Jobs. I know my son loved the quote and is a big Steve Job’s fan, but I had no idea just how much he identified with it. Flash forward to Christmas morning when I casually handed my son the wrapped gift, telling him it was a little something I made for him. What happened next caught us all by surprise. I watched as he curiously tore away the paper, stopping just as the first few lines of the quote was revealed, then he slumped down and held his face as he started to sob.

For a moment we all were stunned, then we saw his smile through tears. He loved it. He really, really loved it. For whatever reason, this gift spoke to his heart. As he sobbed tears of joy, I grabbed him and hugged him with tears of my own, followed by my middle son who himself was overcome with tears.

Later Christmas morning, as he proudly carried his framed poster up to his room, he told me, “This is my favorite Christmas gift!”

I hope to never forget this precious moment.

* * *

Here is the famous quote:
“Here’s to the crazy ones. 
The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes. 
The ones who see things differently.
They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo.
You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. 
Because they change things. They push the human race forward. 
And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.
Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.”
—Steve Jobs
* * *

Check back soon for when I share a special adventure inspired by this gift…


1 comment:

  1. I love the quote! Amazing.
    What a moment. That's so special. <3

    ReplyDelete