Sunday, February 23, 2014

He’s Now Anemic

We saw my son’s psychiatrist last week and after looking at his blood results, he’s determined that my oldest son is anemic. After sharing my concerns of him barely eating at dinner every night, the doctor weighed him and confirm that he isn’t gaining the weight that he’s suppose to for his growth in height. So now the question remains, is he anemic because he refuses to eat, or is his appetite decreased because he’s anemic? Our psychiatrist isn’t sure.

I did ask about his medications, but most of them list weight gain as a side effect. Being a naturally skinny kid, he’s never experienced that. At this time the doctor doesn’t think this is related to the medications, especially because he’s been on them for a long time and the decreased appetite seems to be more recent.

So now we’re being referred to his primary care where we’ll begin further testing and see if we can figure out what’s going on. In the meantime, my son complains that it’s hard for him to eat most meals because he doesn’t feel hungry, but he does acknowledge that he feels tired and weak most of the time.


4 comments:

  1. Anemia can suppress appetite, alongside with tiredness and weakness.
    It can have many causes. Its most frequent cause is lack of iron. It can also be linked to lack of vit B12.

    While your son has been taking his medication for a long time, his recent lack of appetite can be linked to medication depleting nutriments + your son growing up.
    I am not a doctor, but I would take what pdoc says with a grain of salt about the role of medication.

    What does his eGFR say ? You talked about your oldest' kidney issues some time ago, what do you think about this hypothesis ?

    In the mean time, I cross my fingers (hands and feet) for your son. I hope that the root cause is benign and easy to treat.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard from our kidney doctor yet, but I am going to be running it by him too. I did read that the kidneys can cause issues with anemia too. Hopefully we’ll find the cause soon and we can fix it easily.

      Delete
  2. Lamictal can decrease the absorption of folic acid and anemia is something I suffer with. I don't know what to say but I hope he feels better. Poor guy....it could very well be the meds so don't listen to the doc. Trust me, I used to donate blood every month but once I got on psych meds I couldn't donate because I was always anemic and now I don't even try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback In The Pink. We are definitely going to look at all of it.

      Delete