Sunday, April 27, 2014

I Admit It, I’m Weak.

Lately we’ve been working hard on restricting electronics for all kids to help our youngest try new things and experience life beyond a screen. It’s been going pretty well, but I have to admit that I cheated today.

After spending all day Saturday breaking up fights, even forcing my oldest to “go for a walk” after his escalating behavior, and putting my youngest in his room for a long extended reading time after he trashed his room in anger. I needed a break from the constant bickering and stress.

I had deadlines I needed to get done in my home office and I needed to work in an environment that was peaceful and stress free. Plus the husband was out of town so I was on my own.

I admit it, I was weak.

So today I lifted the ban on electronics for the entire day.

And it was pure bliss.

Sometimes you have to do what works.

Even if there’s shame involved.



2 comments:

  1. You're wise, not weak.
    As you said : "you have to do what works". If electronics work for your children, be it !

    And as a geek, electronics can also be a wonderful mean of real life experience : through our common passion for computers, I met my current boyfriend (he's sleeping because of the 6 hours time difference between Canada and France). And we have a project to raise awareness for mental illness and brain injury (as my ADHD and its comorbidities come from brain injury).

    After all, your children can meet real life friends through video games, computers...
    Friends who share something in common with them. And who know if they meet a girlfriend, a geek like themselves... ;-)

    Computers are tools. Tools aren't good or bad by themselves : depends of how do you use them.

    ReplyDelete