Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Creating a 504 Once Again

My youngest continues to struggle in school.

Unfortunately, I’m not sure how to help him. So I’m starting with a 504 plan.

This week he was sent to the office to calm down after acting out in class. It was during the spelling test, he was putting his feet on his desk and refusing to participate. He told his teacher, “I hate school!”

I know for a fact that the spelling words weren’t an issue for him, I tested him the night before and he got them all correct, but still he didn’t want to participate in class.

When I asked him about it he told me that he was frustrated because they already had a spelling test on Monday. It was their pre-test. So in his mind, he had already completed the test.

He sometimes tells me that he hates school since it’s a waste of his time.

“It feels like a prison.”

When I asked him about recess he tells me that he plays by himself a lot. He tells me he’s playing video games inside his head. When I asked him if he would rather play with the other kids, he shrugs it off saying, “No mom, I’m fine, I need my alone time.”

I have a feeling his struggles are going to continue in the years ahead so I think it’s time to get an official 504 plan in place.

Thankfully his new principal agrees, telling me that to him it looks like my son has Aspergers. He also said that regardless of his diagnosis, he’s willing to give him whatever support he needs. I have to say, I’m loving this new principal!

Wish me luck.

* * *

This week I read two great articles I wanted to share with you, check them out!

Jordana Steinberg: ‘A story of overcoming’ mental illness
http://www.sacbee.com/static/sinclair/jordana/index.html

This article is about a girl who goes public with her diagnosis of bipolar disorder. It shares the tough journey through childhood from both the parent’s perspective and her own. It was heart wrenching at times as I read words that struck very close to home. It’s also interesting that the girl’s father is Senator Steinberg who was already fighting for mental health reform before he even knew that he had mental illness in his own family. Her description of her feelings of anger are remarkably close to what my son has shared and the mother’s words felt like my own. This article is worth your time!


“I Am Adam Lanza’s Mother” writer Liza Long: I’m not scared of my son anymorehttp://www.salon.com/2014/09/02/i_am_adam_lanzas_mother_writer_liza_long_im_not_scared_of_my_son_anymore/

This article is a follow up to the recent one I posted. I found it interesting that through her public exposure, they were able to get a diagnosis for her son, bipolar disorder. Since then, he was placed on Lithium and has been doing great. His mother no longer fears him.


2 comments:

  1. You and Papa Bear are in my prayers. What a journey you have made with your family. Just sit back, breathe, and recall all the progress that has been made in the last few years. God will lead your way, just listen for Him. Team up for the great "advocacy" you both are for your family. I love you all.

    ReplyDelete