Saturday, May 9, 2015

Do We Get Points for Trying?


It’s the eve before Mother’s Day.

I’m at Target, on the floor holding my youngest son down while he kicks and screams at the end of the men’s razor aisle, convinced that I have ruined his life.

What set him off you may wonder?

I told him that he couldn't bring his DS into the store.

I know everything would’ve been much easier if I let him stay glued to his electronics, and I admit I’m guilty of this sometimes for just that reason, but I really do try to help him blend into our world.

At dinner tonight I cut off all the seeds on his strawberries. Every itty, bitty, tiny seed. It was my attempt to have him eat something he refuses in order to help improve his diet.

The strawberries sat naked in their dish, shamelessly seedless. And unfortunately uneaten.

Are there points for trying?

So often us moms face failure as a parent. We go the extra mile, we follow through with the consequence, we even dare to make a scene in Target while other parents look on. Yet the outcome is epic failure.

But I have to believe that we still get points for trying.

Tonight I want to honor all the moms who have walked in my shoes. Who feel that no matter how much they try, they never get it right. I want to send praises your way, to let you know that I acknowledge you and your efforts. I have read your emails, I have sat across from you over coffee, I have seen you rise to the occasion when your child was in full meltdown mode, and got your message when you cried after. I am thinking of you tonight. Some of you I know personally, some of you I have never met, yet I want you to know that I SEE you. You are an amazing mom. You are doing the best you can everyday. You are making a difference!

Happy Mother’s Day Mama!

(And in case you’re wondering, YES we do get points for trying, and a few bonus points along the way for never giving up!)


* * *

I noticed that this is my 601 blog post. Wow, I can’t believe it. Thank you all for still reading after all these years. I am so grateful to have you along my side on this unexpected journey. You have helped me in more ways than you could ever know. Thank you!




3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness did I need to hear this! I am sitting here with a raging child who is keeping me from church. We are all dressed now with nowhere to go. Points for trying, right? I've gotten to the point of almost not even taking mine out in public because I never know what will happen. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Mother's Day! You definitely get points for trying! I know that some days are like walking on eggshells because you never know what might trigger a meltdown which then turns all eyes to you. My morning started at 4:30 being woken up to my daughter screaming that her brother was slightly on her cushion. She has the same issue at school with her desk. Then it was my son's turn to tell me how horrible I am because I wouldn't let him play on the computer before church. Then my daughter refused to eat lunch because the cheese tasted different. Same cheese but dad got a different brand:( But, we keep on going because little things can be so huge for our kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are 'Mothers In The Arena' - "It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt
    Wishing you a peaceful, joy filled Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete